Thursday, August 21, 2008

adding that extra inch

Ultimately, the best shopping finds has always been on the days when I am a little bit down. Last night, after an assignment which I found mind-boggling (I think... the whole The Devil Wears Prada lifestyle does not suit me) I consoled myself by buying myself a pair of heels. So it's not Nine West - I am not fashionable enough nor am I rich enough (for now) to buy a pair - but it they are really, a nice pair of heels. A gray bordering on black, slightly glittery-metallic, with thin straps a la Mary Jane style, peep-toe with swatches of clear plastic on the sides for a peekaboo effect.

They are also a good inch higher than all my other heels - at most, my heels are about two inches in height while the new one must be about three - and it feels a bit wobbly when I walk about in them as I am not used to the height yet but I feel more powerful in them. I feel more 'grown up' actually, and I don't just mean about the height - although I do adore the view from higher up. (I've always wished that I was a bit more taller.)

My deflated little heart could not help swelling with a bit of pride when the women I met over the course of today's assignments openly admired my heels. They were very well-dressed women so to have them acknowledge my fashion sense spoke volumes that I had made a good choice because I'm just clueless when it comes to being trendy most of the time.

Heels project an image of a confident, sophisticated woman who is bold, brash and wears sex appeal like a second skin. I am not quite sure how people see me but when I wear those heels, I would like to project myself as such.

No comments: