Wednesday, March 4, 2009

intimidate me

That extra inch will not help me get over it and neither will a good slap of pimple cream on my face.

Ah but hang on, someone's at the door - it's my inferiority complex, come to pay me a visit. And he's gonna hang out here for a long time.

There is a newcomer at the office. She is tall and beautiful. Nice skin, unblemished. Fashionable in clothes 'daring' enough for the office, showing a good expanse of skin and a healthy dose of cleavage. Sophisticated. That's the word I'd use to describe her best.

It is not her tattoos that intimidate me. Nor is it her smoking habit.

Perhaps what intimidates me the most is how different she is from me.

Comparing myself to her, I must be like some sort of alien life form. I'm a foolish goof. Insignificant to the point that I cannot compare myself to the likes of her! She may be two years younger than me but I just know that I can never carry myself with such poise and exude an air of maturity.

Like I said, I'm a foolish goof. Jokes about bowel movements make me laugh. I don't dress all that well and come in to work with hair wet straight from the shower. I don't even have a tattoo - OK, that is NOT a problem. I trip over my own feet. I hide in corners and then scare anyone who passes me by.

But well, you know me.

Know me enough to agree that I'm just plain weird. Right?

When will I stop being the girl in the cinders? The girl with the unfulfilled dreams? The girl... who is so intimidated by something that is skin deep?

No comments: