Saturday, May 16, 2009

HELP's C2AGE: A flop that goes without saying

WHAT sets an ACG (anime, comics and games) apart from the other 'regular' exhibitions and conventions I've felt, is a unique feature, that is usually also the most-anticipated highlight, 'called cosplay'.

Short for 'costume play', it is an activity that had its roots in similar-themed conventions in Japan and the States and has over the past few years, seen it rising to slowly becoming an up-and-coming staple especially in the local universities' and colleges' ACG club-held events.



Anyway, I accompanied a friend to cover the C2AGE (Comics, Cosplay, Anime and Games Exhibition I think the acronym stood for) event in HELP University-College (did it have a -College to its name? I forgot) and having attended a few cosplay, correction, ACG events in my time, had anticipated something... a lot more impressive, to say the least.

Needless to say, the event was a total flop by most people's (read: cosplayers and others who have attended other ACG events) standards and I couldn't help but feel embarrassed for my part as there was nothing much to show my friend, whom I had raved on and on about the exciting-ness of cosplay and why people cosplay and etc. an hour prior to the event. (There wasn't much point for me to talk to him of anime or comics or games - these are considered 'mainstream' forms of hobbies here and in many parts of the world anyway.)

So, anyway, I'm just going to stick to the whole cosplay bit so if you wanted a more comprehensive self-report on the overall event and its activities, perhaps you could check up the Comic Fiesta forums, where I'm sure they'll have a thread created to discuss it.

If, you had come to an ACG event to take a look at the cosplayers - maybe you were just curious or just like snapping interesting photos, etc. - and the most interesting cosplay was Kame-Sensei from Dragon Ball, you know that you're in for some really dull times.

By the time we left at close to 3pm, I can safely say that there must not have been even 30 cosplayers at the event. Some Naruto cosplayers, Vampire Knight (I think, I haven't been watching anime for some years now and the last title I saw was Trinity Blood) cosplayers, hmm, random Gothic Lolitas that JUST DIDN'T CUT IT (*grimaces*) and oh, there's that Sven dude from Black Cat. And others. I'm just too lazy to list them all.

My friend had a 'talk' (which is to say, interview) with some of the cosplayers and whoopee, surprise surprise, they weren't even from HELP. Gosh. What's the point of holding an ACG event in your own backyard when you aren't even enlisting your own club members to 'support' the event and make it more interesting for the visitors?

And that dance during the launch? It was lameness beyond all reason. You call that a dance? Seriously? You call THAT a dance? (Never mind if it's done to the chirpy-happy Hare Hare Yukai song. It wasn't cute at all.)

But I'm diverting from the matter of importance which was that the event was a flop. Because the organisers failed to create 'attractions'.

There were some odd smattering of booths here and there which, unfortunately, didn't sell anything worth buying. So there's a booth selling your standard fare of comics and anime DVDs. Big hairy deal. I can get those from any shopping mall any day. There was only one booth selling self-made artwork. There was... a booth promoting Hannah Tan's album. Like I care?

They had Gempak Starz their list of sponsors. Why didn't they arrange for an autograph-signing session with some of the cartoonists? That would have been an interesting highlight.

That's the least they could do, I felt, instead of the following 'highlights' (add a sarcastic tone): Japanese ambassador to Malaysia putting on his rendition of Getaran Jiwa on stage and that floozy Hannah Tan just prancing around looking sexy WITHOUT even bothering to cosplay and live up to her name as a (former) Animax Asia ambassador. (IS THAT ALL SHE CAN DO?)

Obviously not everyone can pull off getting a seiyuu (voice actor) all the way to Japan to guest at their ACG event - just as how MMU Melaka had managed to pull off in the past two years. I'm actually looking forward to who they plan to bring in this time around - but I'm diverting again.

I'm not sure if the organisers of C2AGE thought about the suitability of dates because when I checked with some friends still studying at MMU, they told me that finals start Monday. And I think my friend is a committee member for EMiNA Cyberjaya and he said he had no idea about this C2AGE thing. Had they known, and had it not been close to finals, perhaps they'd have sent a bus or two over to 'support' HELP's ACG event.

Speaking of lending support, I wonder if the C2AGE committee members had even bothered to invite ACG-based clubs from other universities and colleges? Or even promoted the event in the Comic Fiesta forums - I haven't checked the forums in a long time, so I can't say as to the latter. Somehow I get the idea that it might likely be a big NO because the cosplayers my friend talked to were all newbies, who decided to join Malaysia's current growing list of freakily-dressed camwhores (including yours truly) after getting 'inspired' at the last Comic Fiesta event.

Gah. I just can't write a straight opinion piece. I'm rambling.

Anyway, it was. Just sad. Some fellows who caught the Cosplay Gameshow thing, whatever it was, said it was super lame. Things did not follow the schedule and there were long delays. Hannah Tan served absolutely no purpose to the event. Whatever happened to the Sailor Moon cosplayers? The Trinity Blood gang? (I'm not going to talk about Naruto or Bleach cosplayers - they are SO overrated and overdone.)

This isn't the first time an ACG event was held at HELP. You'd think that the organisers would have improved from the previous time. Or... not.

ALRIGHT! Let's forget today's disappointment and concentrate on MMU Melaka's GACC (Games, Anime and Comics Circle)!

11 comments:

Lich King said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReidXavi said...

Mmm... you make a strong argument. I share similar thoughts though I pull my punches a lil bit for my comments since I know how hard it is to organize an event such as this added is the fact that they don't have a properly sized multipurpose hall to boot. I originally didn't want to attend based on past experiences from more senior cosplayer friends who attended the previously organized ones (went anyways to support the new committee who befriended me at ACGC). I share you rage and hope to see you at the upcoming events such as GACC and cosfest. If you have any pics, do you mind sharing them with me. My blog link is http://trialsofawhiteguy.com/ do give it a visit and leave a few words if you like =3 cheerio~

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
qqq said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grell Sutcliff said...

C2AGE did a good job. They did invite different colleges and they came. Pls get ur facts straight and then only post up. What u are doing now is giving false info. If you are a blogger, do the right thing and supply FACTS only =]

Unknown said...

hey. seriously. they did invite taylors and sunway anime club over. and they did attend.other than dat, inti's japanese club came too. hmmm bout MMU, they invited them but they turn them down. so cant blame them on that right? well.
other then dat. i heard they invited lat, kauru and others but they dint make it. hm maybe if you think inviting all these people or findign for sponsors is that easy in the resesion period. for next c2age u wana HELP THEM OUT ? maybe they could work out with you to make the next C2AGE "PERFECT" as you tought.

JojoNuts said...

Quote : What's the point of holding an ACG event in your own backyard when you aren't even enlisting your own club members to 'support' the event

I'd like to know whether did your friend actually interviewed every single cosplayer there because I definitely noticed a fair number of HELP students cosplaying there =)

Quote : They had Gempak Starz their list of sponsors. Why didn't they arrange for an autograph-signing session with some of the cartoonists?

Just wondering if you ever considered that they actually tried asking them for the autograph-signing session but got rejected? Or do you think that the world is so perfect in such a way that they will always accept all autograph-signing sessions?

Quote: I'm not sure if the organisers of C2AGE thought about the suitability of dates.

Did you not consider that when you organize an event and try to accommodate every single person in the world just so that they can come for the event. You'll literally get... let me see, impossible?

Quote : Speaking of lending support, I wonder if the C2AGE committee members had even bothered to invite ACG-based clubs from other universities and colleges?

Just so you know, Taylors and Sunway Anime Club did come to the event. I do know that they invited MMU and many other ACG-based clubs, ever thought that those clubs actually rejected them? Or do I assume that everyone will say yes to everything just like Jim Carrey from "Yes Man"?

Quote : This isn't the first time an ACG event was held at HELP. You'd think that the organisers would have improved from the previous time. Or... not.

I assume (or hope) that you actually said that as a form of an opinion, because I do hear that some people consider this year is an improvement from last year. =)

I do understand that whatever you post here in your blog is perfectly based on personal opinion and I do think that flaming you is quite inadequate.
What I must say is that when you decide to blog about an event, I do suggest that you try to look from the organizers' point of view and don't assume that they are such idiots that they didn't consider the options that you suggested.

In short, just be more considerate. Not every event that is not organized by you are organized by idiots. Take care =D

NiCK^ said...

Firstly, i'd like to congratulate the organising committee of the C2Age. I personally saw the huge potential of each and every individual and i believe these are just minor hiccups that one face growing up.

Obviously criticism is something that is needed in one's daily life but i think the criticism given here is just plain destructive and immature. Dear author, have you ever heard of something called constructive criticism? Well, i doubt you have. Firstly, your criticism here is not constructive even to the blinded eye and it shows your sense of maturity towards your writing capability. Secondly, have you forgotten that this was an event that was organised by a group of teenagers who are still in their first year of college? Hey, if they did a bad job, i wouldn't be surprised if you did worse. Let me assure you that i have gotten loads of feedback over this event and frankly, you seem to be living up a reputation of a thorn among roses. Of all the comments, yours seemed the most blunt and pointless. A piece of advice.

Do learn to mature in your writing and start making your criticism more CONSTRUCTIVE. Remember, talk is cheap. Learn to start walking the talk.

My 2 cents!

Well, before i end, i'd like to say, KUDOS again to the organizing committee of C2Age.

Job Well done!!
Neglect the ones who do not appreciate our hard work!

Aoshi_88 said...

And i was... supposed to write an article, a review rather, of C2AGE. Which i didn't attend due to personal matters.

Frankly, there are PLENTY of ACG-related events running now, with everyone trying to jump on the bandwagon seeing as ACG attracts the cosplay/anime crowd and the fact that ACG is becoming very popular.

We've had Hotlink trying to out-do ACGC(offering larger cash prizes/having it on the same week by purpose), the Windows Mobile event by In2Marketing(whose event had NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with anime/cosplay/manga).

I will not pass judgement of C2AGE seeing as i did not attend but if there are bugs, they should be worked out.

PS - I'm a writer for http://shrine.lowyat.net